Tuesday, January 25, 2011

All the Pretty Horses: Favorite Quotes of Part I

Some of these quotes I took note of due to their beauty or sensible message behind them. However, a majority of these quotes just made me chuckle a bit. Enjoy!

"What he loved in horses was what he loved in men, the blood and the heat of the blood that ran them. All his reverence and all his fondness and all the leanings of his life were for the ardenthearted and they would always be so and never be otherwise." pg. 6

"Son, not everybody thinks that life on a cattle ranch in west Texas is the second best thing to dyin and goin to heaven." pg. 17

"...he watched the play with great intensity. He'd notion that there would be something in the story itself to tell him about the way the world was or was becoming but there was not. There was nothing in it at all." pg. 21

"Looking over the country with those sunken eyes as if the world out there had been altered or made suspect by what he'd seen of it elsewhere. As if he might never see it right again. Or worse did see it right at last. See it as it had always been, would forever be." pg. 23

"His father smoked. He watched him.
You still seein that Barnett girl?
He shook his head.
She quit you or did you quit her?
I don't know.
That means she quit you.
Yeah." pg. 24

"You got a lot more reason for leavin than me.
What the hell reason you got for stayin? You think somebody's goin to die and leave you somethin?
Shit no.
That's good. Cause they ain't." pg. 26

"Rawlins studied him. Your name ain't Blivet is it?
It's Blevins.
You know what a blivet is?
What.
A blivet is ten pounds of shit in a five pound sack." pg. 46

"I got dogbit by a bulldog took a chunk out of my leg the size of a Sunday roast." pg. 63

"Can you ride or not? said Rawlins.
Does a bear shit in the woods? Hell yes I can ride." pg. 66

"They could hear the rain coming down the road behind them like some phantom migration." pg. 69

"You never know when you'll be in need of them you've despised, said Blevins.
Where did you hear that at?
I don't know. I just decided to say it." pg. 72

"Ever dumb thing I ever done in my life there was a decision I made before that got me into it. It was never the dumb thing. It was always some choice I'd made before it. You understand what I'm sayin?" pg. 79

"You think God looks out for people? said Rawlins.
....I'd say He's just about got to. I don't believe we'd make it a day otherwise." pg. 92

No comments:

Post a Comment