Tuesday, January 25, 2011

All the Pretty Horses pg. 31-59

Well hello again. It's been a while since I've updated my thoughts on McCarthy's novel "All the Pretty Horses" (It wouldn't let me italicize or anything so I'm sorry). This is really pathetic, but I am just now posting about the section section that we read. I had this section read on time I promise, but I am horrible at keeping up with my posts. Anyway, here it is.

After reading this second section I found myself enjoying the book much more. McCarthy has finally started identifying who is talking and to whom they are talking too. This has made a big difference for me and has really helped me comprehend the story.

I also enjoyed this section because it began to introduce us into the uncivilized west and the "cowboy" personalities of both John Grady and Rawlins. The two boys sleep under the stars, catch their own food, and put up with the other's raillery. I especially enjoy Rawlins comments directed towards Blevins, the thirteen-year-old boy who has been following them on their trail. For example:
Rawlins studied him. Your name ain't Blivet is it?
It's Blevins.
You know what a blivet is?
What.
A blivet is ten pounds of shit in a five pound sack.

I honestly was laughing so hard when I read this and that's because it sounds like some smart ass comment my grandpa would make (he's a farmer if that helps you understand a little better haha).

Anyway, I find Blevins to be an interesting character. He's only a child and can act really immature at times, such as when he fell off the bench during dinner and was too embarrassed to sleep in the Mexican family's home. However, his mysterious manner makes him seem more mature and grown up. But then he pulls a stunt such as waking up the whole village while stealing back his horse. If he was the mature character I sometimes think him to be, you would think he would have been more careful and thought his plan out a bit more. This sudden heroic action of saving his horse does provide and example of his typical western hero side though.

Part I wraps up with John Grady and Rawlins landing their dream job of working on a ranch and settling into their new lives as cowboys, complete with a chica who just happens to be the daughter of the ranch's foreman.

No comments:

Post a Comment