Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Devil in the White City pg. 58-101

Well, it was really hard for me to pay attention to Burnham and his troubles getting the Fair into production but I got through it . Barely. Pretty much it was about twenty pages about boring architecture and the obstacles they face when creating a new building/city. And the list of ongoing architects confused me. I got lost as to which architect was which and which side of the Fair debate they were on. I don't really have anything more to say about this aspect of the book.

Holmes and his story are just starting to get rolling on the other hand. It can be inferred that he killed the old lady that he bought his pharmacy from because he told her loyal customers that she went to California and fell in love with it. Supposedly. The main point of these forty some pages was Holmes and his new project. This project was to create a building with the first floor being retail shops and the second and third floors to be apartment complexes. It would also have a basement for other "material." I personally took this to be dead bodies mainly because Holmes refers to dead bodies as just another type of material in the previous section I read. Anyway, in this basement he has a "kiln" that is approximately eight feet long, three feet wide, and three feet deep in which he will use for his glass shop (one of the retail stores on the first floor). I find it funny that this 3,000 degree Fahrenheit "kiln" is the perfect size and temperature to incinerate a human being.

That's about all that happened in the past fifty pages. It was kind of a slow read but now that I'm cutting out the crap about the architect hopefully it will pick up a little bit. I just looked at the clock and it is 12:oo a.m. which is when I call it quits. My goal for this next week is to not procrastinate (or even just to remember) my blog assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment